Abandoned buildings can be transformed by a few sprays of paint. The makeshift canvas, tagged by its author reveals a beautiful mural to the world…..until it is painted over and a mundane white wall restored; awaiting the process to begin again.
But it doesn’t have to be transient.
Sara Cochran said in a CNN report “Banksy came from the streets and now has gallery shows and auctions”.
To most people, street and public art are often indistinguishable in public areas. There are notable differences, however. Jareen Imam commented “Street art is considered rebellious in nature and illegal in practice, while public art is commissioned by cities or property owners and is considered culturally enriching and socially acceptable.”
Experience a treasure hunt that explores Street Art in Brixton.
With a mix of artwork by international street artists and artwork created by community groups, come and discover art on the streets of Brixton. This treasure hunt involves solving clues and exploring the area.
How it works
This self guided hunt is available on the ClueKeeper app. This is a free mobile app available for iPhone and Android.
- Each team will require a copy of the hunt, which costs £12.99 per team.
- The ClueKeeper app will guide you where to go, give you clues, provide hints, and accept answers.
- Once you have provided the correct answer, you will get instructions on where to go for the next puzzle.
- You will be able to skip puzzles and can even use the hunts as walking tours.
- An adult must accompany children.
Get the hunt at Discover London Street Art